Sriram Chandra Bhanj Medical college & hospital (S.C.B Medical College) is a pioneer medical institute in Eastern India in medical teaching, training, research and patient care. This Institution is situated in the City of Cuttack with a sprawling campus of 87.32 acres. It has been recognized by MCI (Medical Council of India) as an ideal undergraduate institution facilitating education and training in super specialty subjects under medical and surgical disciplines.
The evolution of this glorious institution dates back to the pre-independence era. It took its birth as a small dispensary as First Aid Centre in the premises of the present medical college during the days of Maharatta rule in the later half of the eighteenth century. The sole purpose of that dispensary was to render whatever little medical assistance was available and feasible during that time to the sick pilgrims enrouted to and from Puri, especially during the “Car Festival” of Lord Jagannath.
This dispensary continued to function admirably till the British occupation of Orissa in 1803. The British rulers, in due course of time, realized the strategic importance of this dispensary at Cuttack and converted it into small hospital. For smooth management of the Hospital, they made provisions for pumping adequate money from the “Annachhatra Fund”.
In 1975, the Orissa Medical School was born and saw the light of the day by the effort of a large hearted Briton, Dr Stewart, the then Civil Surgeon of Cuttack as its first Principal. he mooted out the idea of starting a medical school, utilizing this hospital as an infrastructural nucleus. In this endeavour, he received the kind support and sincere patronage of the then Lt. Governor, Sir Richard Temple and the Divisional Commissioner, Mr T.E Ravensahaw.
First the Orissa Medical School was established with a capacity of 20 L.M.P (Licentiate Medical Practitioners) students. It was affiliated to the Bihar and Orissa Medical Examination Board which grantee the LMP Diploma.
In 1936, Orissa became a separate State. During that time there was no University. In 1937, the newly formed Government of Orissa headed by Sri Biswanath Das was the Prime Minister realized the fact that Orissa would have to make p the leeway in the field of education. The first University of Orissa “Utkal University” came into being on 27 Nov 1943 during the tenure of the ministry headed by Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati Narayan Deb. In the process, Orissa got seven more colleges inclusive of a Medical College.
In 1944, the Orissa Medical School was renamed as Orissa Medical College and Major A.T Anderson, the then Civil Surgeon of Cuttack acted as its first Principal. he wanted to improve the Orissa Medical College as per the pattern existed in U.K which was highly appreciated by Lt.Col.A.N.Chopra, the then Director of Health and I.G, Prisons. They recommended to the Government to upgrade the existing medical school to the status of College. The Parla Ministry consisting of Maharaja of Paralakhemundi. Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati Dev, Pandit Godabrish Misra and Mr Abdul Sovan Khan gave due attention to this issue and finally the Orissa Medical College was born on 1st June 1944 with a capacity of 22 students into MBBS Degree Course.
The College was affiliated to Utkal University and the first batch appeared in the Final MBBS Examination in 1948. The College received recognition for MBBS degree from Medical Council of Indian in the year 1952 with retrospective effect.
In 1951, the Orissa Medical College was subsequently renamed as SRIRAM CHANDRA MEDICAL COLLEGE in recognition of the donation and efforts made by Mayurbhaj Maharaja SRIRAM CHANDRA BHANJA.
In 1960, Post-graduate course (M.D/M.S) in different disciplines were started. In 1981, two Post-doctoral course, i.e. D.M. in Cardiology and M.Ch in Neurosurgery were started. In 2007, another two Post-doctoral course, i.e. M.Ch in Plastic Surgery and Pediatric Surgery have been started for providing better specialized services in the Periphery Hospitals and in the Medical College Hospitals. Postgraduate courses have been started in almost all disciplines.
In 2006, Govt. of Orissa has taken initiatives for stating Post-doctoral course (CM/Mch) in the subjects like Surgical Gastroenterology, Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery and in Gastroenterology basing on the need for the super-specialty treatment for the patients of the State. In 2006, considering the dearth of the doctors in the state, the undergraduate seats have been increased from 107 to 150.
Super-specialized treatment facilities exist in the department of Cardiology, Clinical Immunology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatric Medicine, Gynecology Oncology, Head & Neck Oncology, Hepatology, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Neuclear Medicine, Neurology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Diabetic Foot Surgery, Experimental Surgery, Neurosurgery, Onco-Pathalogy, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Spinal Injury, Surgical Gastroenterology, Surgical Oncology and Urogenital Surgery.
In 1980, a Dental Wing of S.C.B Medical College, Cuttack has been opened for teaching for BDS course with admission capacity of 20 students per year. Government of Orissa has been urged to increase the number of BDS seats from 20-60 considering the pressing need of the Dental Surgeons in the State. In 2006, Dental Council of India has been approached for opening Postgraduate course in Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
In 1956, the combined Paramedical Technician Course were started. In 1958, different certificate paramedical course i.e.. Medical Laboratory Technology, Radiographer, Ophthalmic Assistant, Pharmacy, Midwifery were started. In 2002, Diploma courses in DMLT (Diploma in Medical Laboratory technology) and Diploma in Medical Radiology Technology) course have been started.
Various National Programmes like family Welfare Training in Regional Family Welfare Training Centre, Post Partum Programme attached to Obstetrics & Gynecology Department, ICMR Programme, IGNOU study center, Regional Spinal injury center and treatment of Geriatric patients in Geriatric OPD are also functioning in this institution.
The Central Library of this institution is one of the best Referral Medical Libraries in the State of Orissa. This is a fully computerized and Air Conditioned library. This library has been declared as Resource Library in the Eastern Region by Govt. of India in the year 1993. A Pilot Project has also been started by Govt. of Indian in 2001 for linking Govt.Medical College Libraries with National Medical Library. New Delhi to provide medical literature, bibliographies and abstracts to the research scholars for their study, research and patient care. The library is catering to the academic needs of the Undergraduates, Postgraduates, Research Scholars and Faculty members of this Institution and also Research Scholars of other Medical Colleges and Universities of the State.
In 2001, Tele-Medicine Service has been established in, collaboration with ISRO and Sanjay Gandhi Post-Graduate institute of Medical Science Lucknow for providing distant Medical Education to our medical students, tele consultation for critically ill patients, follow-up treatment facility to the patient who are treated earlier and Tele medical video conference are also being provided.
The Medical College & Hospital has come up with a Regional Diagnostic Centre in its own campus for better diagnostic facility available to the patients for 24 hours. The computerized Registration system has already been started functioning for better patient database management in the hospital and to promote research activity of the medical faculties and students which in the long run will be helpful for providing better health care.
There is an efficient Hospital Waste Management system for disposal of infect wastes, generated in the hospital through the use of modern sophisticated instruments and equipments. This institution is going ahead for the creation of a Trauma Care Centre which deal with poly Trauma patients and cater to the need of Rod Traffic Accidents.
Considering the patient load in Medicine and Orthopedic departments, construction work has been started for another 200 bedded Medicine Ward and 60 bedded Orthopedic Wards. A separate Building for Cardiology Department is also under construction.
The SCB Medical College & Hospital is an advance Premier Medical institution with all its present components of specialized and super specialist services along with modern diagnostic laboratory facilities and intensive care service to critically ill patients. The wide range of specialized and super specialized training and treatment facilities which are available here, make it one of the outstanding medical centers in the Eastern region of our country.
In Respect of teaching, training, research and clinical service S.C.B Medical College maintains a good reputation and standard. Some of the staff and alumni of this institution have earned national and even international recognition. Above all, this institutional complex, as it stands to day, is the very heart-throb of the medical activities of our State and the hopes and aspirations of our people.