Importance of entrepreneurship development programme (EDP):
Entrepreneurship plays a very important role in the economic development. Entrepreneurs act as catalytic agents in the process of industrialization and economic growth. Joseph Schumpeter states that the rate of economic progress of a nation depends upon its rate of innovation which in turn depends upon the distribution of entrepreneurial talent in the population. Technological progress alone cannot lead to economic development unless technological breakthroughs are put to economic use by entrepreneurs. It is the entrepreneur who organizes and puts to use capital, labour and technology in the best possible manner for the setting up of his enterprise.
Importance of entrepreneurship development programme (EDP) is to enable entrepreneurs initiating and sustaining the process of economic development in the following ways-
1. Creation of Employment Opportunities : Unemployment is one of the most important problems confronting developing and underdevelopment countries, EDP’s enable prospective entrepreneurs in the setting up of their own units, thus enabling them to get self employment. With the setting up of more and more units by entrepreneurs, both on small and large scale, numerous job opportunities are created for the others.
Entrepreneur in this way get an opportunity to lead an independent and honorable life and at the same time they enable others in getting gainful employment. Several schemes like Nehru Rozgar Yojna, National Rural Employment Programme (NREP), Integrated Rural Development Programme (IRDP) etc. have been initiated by the government, of India in this direction. The thrust of all these schemes is to eliminate poverty and generate gainful employment opportunities for the unemployed. Thus entrepreneur can play an effective role in reducing the problem of unemployment.
2. Capital Formation : It is not possible to set up an enterprise without adequate funds. Entrepreneur as an organizer of factors of production employs his own as well as borrowed resources for the setting up of his enterprise. Entrepreneur mobilizes idle savings of the public and put them to productive use. In this way he helps in capital formation which is so essential for the industrial and economic development of a country. Various development banks like ICICI, IFCI, IDBI; SFCs, SIDCs take initiative in promoting entrepreneurship through assistance to various agencies involved in EDP and by providing financial assistance to new entrepreneurs.
3. Balanced Regional Development : Small scale units can be set up in industrially backward and remote areas with limited financial resources. Successful EDP’s assist in accelerating the pace of industrialization in the backward areas and reduce the concentration of economic power in the hands of a few, Entrepreneurs feel like taking advantage of the various concessions and subsidies offered by the state and central government. Success story of entrepreneurs set right example for others to follow and this accelerates the pace of industrialization in the backward areas. Setting up of more units leads to more development of backward areas and balanced regional development.
4. Use of Local Resources : In the absence of any initiative local resources are likely to remain unutilized. Proper use of these resources can result in the progress or development of the area and that too at lower cost. Alert entrepreneurs seize the opportunity and exploit it in the best interests of the area and industry. Effective EDPs can help in the proper use of local resources by providing guidance, assistance, education and training to the prospective entrepreneurs.
5. Improvement in per Capital Income : Entrepreneurs are always on the look out for opportunities. They explore and exploit the opportunities. Entrepreneurs take lead in organising various factors of production by putting them into productive use through the setting up of enterprises. More enterprises will lead to more production, employment and generation of wealth in the form of goods and services. It will result in the increase in the overall productivity and per capita income in the country. EDPs play a positive role in the setting of more units and thus help in generation of more employment and income.
6. Improvement in the Standard of Living : Entrepreneurs by adopting latest innovations help in the production of wide variety of goods & services. By making efficient use of the resources, they start producing more of better quality and that too at lower costs. This enable them to ensure easy availability of better quality products at lower prices to the consumers which result in the improvement in the standard of living of the people. EDPs provide the necessary support to entrepreneurs by educating them about the latest innovations and market trends.
7. Economic Independence : Entrepreneurs enable a country to produce wide variety of better quality goods & services and that too at competitive prices. They develop substitutes of the goods being imported and thus prevent over-dependence on foreign countries and at the same time help in the saving of precious foreign exchange. Through sale of their surplus products in foreign market entrepreneurs enable a country to earn foreign exchange, which is so essential for meeting developmental needs of the economy. Export promotion and import substitution thus help in promoting economic independence of the economy.
8. Preventing Industrial Slums : Industrially developed areas are faced with problem of industrial slums, which result in over burdening of civic amenities and adverse impact on the health of people. Dispersal of industries can help in the overcoming of this grave problem. EDPs can help in preventing spread of industrial slums by providing various incentives, subsidies and infrastructural support to entrepreneurs for setting up their enterprises in industrially backward areas. This will also help in reducing pollution and overtaxing of civic amenities.
9. Reducing Social Tension : Unemployment amongst the young and educated people is emerging as the major cause of social unrest. People are bound to feel frustrated if they fail to get gainful employment after completion of their education. EDPs can help in channelizing the talent of this section of society in the right direction by providing proper guidance, training and assistance for setting up their enterprises. This results in generation of self employment and prevention of social tension, unrest etc.
10. Facilitating Overall Development : An entrepreneur acts as a catalytic agent for change which results in chain reaction. With the setting up of an enterprise the process of industrialization is set in motion. This unit will generate demand for various types of inputs required by it and there will be so many other units which will require the output of this unit. This leads to overall development of an area due to increase in demand and setting up of more and more units there. Moreover success of one entrepreneur sets the right type of example for others to follow. Entrepreneurs, thus, create an environment of enthusiasm and convey a sense of purpose. This gives future impetus to the overall development of that area.