The major functions of the export promotion councils and commodity boards (EPCs/CBs) are follows:
- To provide commercially useful information and assistance to their members in developing and increasing their exports;
- To offer professional advice to their members in areas such as technology up gradation, quality and design improvement, standards and specifications, product development, innovation etc.
- To organize visits of delegations of its members abroad to explore overseas market opportunities;
- To organize participation in trade fairs, exhibitions and buyer-seller meets in India and abroad;
- To promote interaction between the exporting community and the Government both at the central and state levels;
- To build a statistical base and provide data on the export and import on the country. Exports and imports of their members as well as other relevant international trade data.