Mahatma Gandhi changed the character of the Congress movement by involving the masses in the following manner:
- He associated means with special reference to Swadeshi Boycott, Civil disobedience movement, Hartal, Non-cooperation in Congress movement.
- Gandhiji established Hindu-Muslim Unity in conjunction with Non-Cooperation Movement and Khilafat Movement
- He promoted the cause of cottage and village industries like Khadi.
- Under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, social reform movements were made a part of the National Movement.
- Satyagraha and Non-violence were made important instruments in the Indian National Movement by Gandhiji.
- He infused people with a sense of nationalism. Peasants and workers began to take active part in the National Movement.