This article contains the difference between Deterrent Theory and Reformative Theory.
- It directs to impose exemplary punishments.
The punishment is very serious, including death sentences, long standing rigorous imprisonments, etc. there is no scope of reformation in this theory.
- It intends to create fear in the minds of the criminals. The primary purpose is to deter the criminals.
- Even though it has several lacunae, still it is adopted by the courts all over the world.
- It is a long standing theory.
- It directs to impose the lesser punishments and stress more on reformation.
- The primary object of this theory is to reform the criminals.
- It shows the affection on the criminals.
- The reformative theory is proved failure in case of habitual and hardened criminals.
- It is a new theory.