This is due to the phenomenon of refraction of light. The rays of light coming from the pool (or from the coil lying at the bottom of the can) travel from water to air. As the rays pass from denser (water) to rarer (air) medium they bend away from the normal. When the rays are produced back they form an image of the coin (bottom of the pool) at a point above the real position. hence the coin appears to be slightly raised and the pool papers to be less deep that it really is.
- What is the physics behind passing of light ?
- Why does swimming pool appear less deep than it really is ?
- All About Light (Rookie Read-About Science) by Lisa Trumbauer
- Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter
- Light by Jane Breskin Zalben
- Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit by Vandana Shiva