Rehabilitation Science is a study of scientific measures for training, education and therapeutic management to persons with disabilities to restore their physical, mental, emotional, social and vocational usefulness as per their capabilities. Rehabilitation science is a discipline to design the quality and comprehensive rehabilitation programmes for the disabled persons to make them self sufficient, socially accepted and vocationally competent to prepare them to face the life with certitude and fortitude.
Teaching and Learning > Curriculum …”/>Rehabilitation is a multi-dimensional long drawn process, requiring intervention and provision of services at various levels, from the disabled individual to their families and community. It also encompasses several sectors, which help to work in a coordinated manner to provide services. Rehabilitation is a continuous process and it has synergetic effects when the concerned departments function is unison. Self-sufficiency, social adequacy and vocational competency are the main objectives of rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.
The rehabilitation professionals/personnel have a role to play in empowerment and full participation of the persons with disabilities. The persons affected with different types of disabilities need various rehabilitation measures such as aids and appliances for functional freedom and mobility, medical intervention, therapeutic exercises, education in special schools or inclusive settings, vocational training and employment etc. Convergence of these services through different facet of professionals would result in achieving the main objectives of rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
The Government of India has enacted three legislations for persons with disabilities viz. Persons with disabilities (equal opportunities, protection of rights and full participation) Act, 1995, which defines disability of a persons as he/she is suffering from not less than 40% of any disability categorized under the act such as Blindness, Low Vision, Leprosy-cured, Hearing Impairment, Locomotors Disability, Mental Retardation, Mental illness and provides them the right to education, employment social security, non-discrimination etc. However the National Trust for Welfare of persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 includes other named disabilities and empowers the disabled persons and their families.
The necessity to develop a comprehensive and coordinated approach to the rehabilitation of the disabled in the country has been recognized for quite some time. Accordingly, the delivery system are being appropriately equipped and oriented with human resources and material resources to reach persons with disabilities including the un-reached population in the rural areas at minimum cost possible. Therefore, rehabilitation services have been streamlined in coordination with national level agencies. It is estimated that approximately one lakh disabled persons are there in each district. The basic services to most of the disabled have to be provided as grass root/block level.
The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), a statutory body, constituted under The Rehabilitation Council of India Act 1992, regulates the professional courses to develop manpower in the area of rehabilitation science and monitors the training of rehabilitation professionals and personnel run by different institutions in the country. It also promotes research in rehabilitation and special education. It registers rehabilitation professionals/ personnel in Central Rehabilitation Register to eligible them to practice legally.
Indian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (IAPMR) registers practicing doctors of medical rehabilitation with post graduate qualification both in PMR as well as other specially with actual work in medical rehabilitation. The training programme for postgraduate diploma and degree in physical medicine and rehabilitation has been standardized by Medical Council of India (MCI), which also recognizes the medical colleges for running these training programmes.
Physiotherapy profession is regulated by Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP). IAP registers the training colleges and recognizes the training programmes in Physiotherapy. All Indian Association of Occupational Therapists (AIAOT) regulates the occupational therapy profession by registering the colleges / training centers and recognizing their training programmes. IAP registers Physiotherapists and AIAOT provides registration to Occupational.
Branches o Rehabilitation Sciences
Special Educational Rehabilitation
Special Educational Rehabilitation is a branch of rehabilitation science meant to provide special education to children upto age 18 years by means of special methodologies, special teaching learning materials in a special school, regular school or in clinical setting on to an individual-child or through group teaching
The courses offered in this branch of study are:
Diploma level courses:
- Diploma in Special Education – Mental Retardation
- Diploma in Special Education – Cerebral Palsy
- Diploma in Special Education – Hearing Impairment
- Diploma in Special Education – Visual Impairment (Primary / Secondary level.)
- Diploma in Special Education – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Diploma in Special Education – Deaf blind
- Diploma in Early Childhood Special Education-Mental Retardation
- Jr. Diploma in Teaching the Deaf
- Sr. Diploma in Teaching the Deaf
- Diploma in Teaching-Preschool Young HI Children
- Diploma in Indian Sign Language Interpreting – A, B & C level.
Degree Level Courses:
- Bachelor of Education / Special Education – Mental Retardation
- Bachelor of Education / Special Education – Locomotors Impairment & Cerebral Palsy
- Bachelor of Education / Special Education – Hearing Impairment
- Bachelor of Education / Special Education – Visual Impairment
- RSc. Special Education & Rehabilitation-Multiple categories Bachelor of Education / Special Education & MR-on credit basis
- Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Education-Special Education – Visual Impairment
Post Graduate Diploma Level Courses :
- P.G. Diploma in Early Intervention (Mental Retardation)
- P.G. Diploma in Special Education (Mental Retardation)
- P.G. Diploma in Special Education (Cerebral Palsy & Neurological Disabilities
- P.G. Diploma in Special Education (Multiple Disabilities-Physical & Neurological disabilities)
- P.G. Professional Diploma In Special Education
Master Degree Level Courses:
- Master of Education / Special Education – Mental Retardation
- Master of Education / Special Education – Multiple Categories
- Master of Education / Special Education – Hearing Impairment
- Master of Education / Special – Visual Impairment
- Master of Education / Special Education – VI, Hi & MR – on credit basis
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Science
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Science is a branch of rehabilitation science meant to conduct psychological assessment like intelligence, behavior developmental pattern, personality attitude, aptitude etc. and to provide psychosocial therapy, counseling and guidance services, home based training etc. to the affected individuals and their family during crisis period. It also encompasses formation of parent organization, disabled advocacy group along with formation of social clubs, organization of sports, art, drama, music, cultural and extra curricular activities.
Certificate / Diploma Level Courses :
- Certificate Course In Clinical Psychology.
- Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- P.G. Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- P.G. Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology
- P.G. Diploma in Guidance & Counseling
- P.G. Diploma in Developmental Rehabilitation
- P.G. Diploma in Social Work
Master Degree Level Courses:
- Master in Social Work
- Master in Rehabilitation Science
M.Phil Level Courses:
- M.Phil in Social Work
- M.Phil in Rehabilitation Psychology
- M.Phil in Clinical Psychology
- M.Phil in Medical & Social Psychology
Clinical/Therapeutic Rehabilitation Science
Clinical/Therapeutic Rehabilitation Science is the study rehabilitation science which is meant to provide clinical and specific therapeutic services to persons with disabilities ranging from prevention measures, early detection and intervention, diagnostic assessment, certification o disability, medical management, physical, occupational, developmental, speech and audio logical management etc.
The courses offered for clinical rehabilitation are :
Diploma Level Courses:
- Diploma in Rehabilitation Therapy
- Diploma in Hearing, Language & Speech
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
Degree Level Courses
- Bachelor in Metal Retardation
- Bachelor in Rehabilitation Services / Therapry
- Bachelor in Audiology, Speech & Language Pathology
- Bachelor in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor in Occupational Therapy
Post Graduate Diploma Level Courses:
- P.G. Diploma in Disability Rehabilitation
- P.G. Diploma in Early Intervention (Mental Retardation)
- P.G. Diploma i basic Developmental Therapy for children with Multiple Disabilities.
Medical Rehabilitation Science
Medical Rehabilitation Science is the study of science for treatment of persons with disabilities having associated medical conditions, diagnostic evaluation, genetic counseling, corrective and reconstructive surgery, therapeutic management and prevention of disabilities etc.
The name of the few courses offered in Medical rehabilitation apart from other medical specialty are:
- P.G. Diploma in Disability Management for Doctors
- P.G. Diploma in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- M.D. in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Vocational Rehabilitation Science
Vocational Rehabilitation Science is of the study continuous and coordinated process of rehabilitation science, which is meant for prevocational and vocational training, vocational guidance & counseling, selective placement designed to enable a adult disabled person to secure and retain suitable employment for their independent living.
Vocational rehabilitators generally conduct assessment of abilities, interests and attitudes etc. of the persons with disabilities as well as assessment of the community regarding availability of the jobs and market for find out suitable jobs for the people with disabilities, facilitate supported open employment, self employment, sheltered employment opportunities and empower them for entrepreneurship skills.
The courses offered for vocational rehabilitation are:
- Diploma in Vocational Rehabilitation (Mental Retardation)
- Bachelors in Rehabilitation Science. (Vocational Counseling)
- P.G. Diploma in Guidance & Counseling
Rehabilitation Management and Administration :
Rehabilitation Management and Administration is the field of study for planning, organizing, financing, directing, supervising, inspecting and evaluating the rehabilitation services provided by the institutions dealing with disabled persons. The professionals study to use and mobilize the materials and resources effectively for providing equality and comprehensive services to persons with disabilities.
Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) Science is study of rehabilitation strategy with in community development, meant for improving service delivery for providing more equitable opportunities and for promoting and protecting the human rights of persons with disabilities and their social integration in their own community. The community based rehabilitation professionals provide services to persons with disabilities along with the members of the community to prepare disabled individuals to live as fulfilling, self-reliant, fully comfortable, socially accepted, respected, productive and contributing members of their community.
The courses offered for CBR-programmes are :
- Diploma in Community Based Rehabilitation
- Post Graduate Diploma in Community Based Rehabilitation – Planning & Management
Mobility Rehabilitation Science is the study of science which is meant for facilitating training to the persons with disabilities having restricted mobility in and around their environment such as in conditions of blindness, low vision etc. The courses offered in this branch of study are :
- Certificate for in Orientation & Mobility Instructor
- Bachelor in Mobility Science
Disability rehabilitation science is the new and upcoming field and open the job avenues for the persons interested in serving the society and working for the social cause in a professionally sophisticated manners. The trained rehabilitation professionals can get job in universities or institutions at academic positions like lecturers, assistant professors or reader etc.. in their concerned field of specialty. There are seven national institutes under Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment working in the field of disability rehabilitation namely,
- The National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped, Secundrabad
- The National Institute for the Visually Handicapped, Dehradun
- Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai
- The National Institute for the Orthopedically Handicapped, Kolkata
- Swami Vivekananda The National Institute for Rehabilitation Training & Research, Cuttack
- National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities, Kancheepuram
- Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Institute for the Physically Handicapped, New Delhi
Several national institutions under the Ministry of heal & Family Welfare are also working in the field of rehabilitation and developing manpower in this field viz.
- All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Mumbai
- Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore
The Universities involved in manpower development in the area of disability rehabilitation sciences are:
- Banaras Hindu university, Varanasi
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- Jagadguru Rambhadrachraya Handicapped university, Chitrakoot
- Netaji Subash Bose Open University, Kolkata
- Avinaslingam Deemed University, Coimbatore
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj University, Bhopal
- Manipal University, Manipal
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- SNDT Women’s University etc.
In addition, five Composite Regional Centers and 120 District Disability Rehabilitation Centers are providing multifacets rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities. Therefore, at Clinical level the rehabilitation professions / personnel can op for rehabilitation centers, child guidance centers, well baby clinics, pediatric clinics etc. as per their rehabilitation qualifications. These professionals are in great demands in overseas countries for rehabilitation clinics, regular schools, special schools etc.
The special educators can work in Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan mission of Government of India as Resource teachers / District / State Programme Officers for integrated education to disabled children. There are number of voluntary organization working in the areas of different disabilities. These voluntary organizations are running special schools, rehabilitation centers, vocational rehabilitation centers, integrated schools or training centers for manpower development programmes in this field. Professionals are generally absorbed in these non-government organizations.
In the recent years, professionals are getting jobs under the National Rural health Mission of Government of India. Community Based Rehabilitation – programmes are another options for getting gainful employment by providing rehabilitation services to the rural and un-served areas. The RCI, New Delhi entitle the clinical rehabilitation professional to run their won clinics and practice their professional skills independently for self-employment.
For detailed information regarding the courses in rehabilitation Sciences you may contact to the following addresses:
Rehabilitation Council of India
B-22, Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi- 110016
Phone : 011-26532408, 26534287
Medical Council of India
Pocket-14, Sector-8, Dwarka
Phase-1, New Delhi-110075
Phone : 01125367033, 25367035/36
The National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped,
Secundrabad – 500009
Phone – 040-27751741
The National Institute for the Visually Handicapped
116, Rajput Road, Dehradun – 248001
Phone – 0135 2744491 / 2748147
Ali Yavar jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped
Bandra Reclamation, Bandra (W), KC Marg, Mumbai 400050
Phone – 022-26422638 / 26400215.
The National Institute for the Orthopaedically Handicapped
BT Road, Bonhooghly, Kolkata – 700090
Phone – 033-25310610
Swami Vivekananda The National Institute for rehabilitation Training & Research
Olatpur, Bairoi, Cuttack – 754010
Phone – 0671 – 2805552
National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities
East Coast Road, Muttukadu, Kancheepuram, Dist – 603112
Phone – 044-2747210
Pt. Deen Dayal upadhyaya Institute for the Physically handicapped
Vishnu Digambar Marg, New Delhi – 110002
Phone – 011-23232403
All India Institute of Speech & Hearing
Naimisham Campus, manasa Gangothri, Mysore – 570006
Phone – 0821+2514449
All India Institute of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation
Haji Ali Park, K. Khadye Marg, Mhalaxmi, Mumbai 400034
Phone – 022-24964331
Vinay Kumar Singh