The root performs many functions primary of which are:
- Fixation: the root fixes plant firmly in the soil.
- Absorption: The root hairs absorb water and raw food materials (mineral salts) from the soil.
- Conduction: The root sends water and mineral salts into the stem and leaves.
- Storage: A certain amount of food is stored in the root which is utilized as it grows. In many plants like radish, turnip, carrot and sweet potato the root is modified for storing food.
- Preventing soil erosion: roots help to bind the soil particles and prevent hem from being blown away by wind or water.