Nitrogen constituents about 78% of air by volume. It is an important constituent of proteins and is present in the form of ammonium salts and nitrates in the soil. It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas slightly lighter than air. Nitrogen is incombustible and a non-support of combustion.
Uses of Nitrogen:
- Nitrogen dilutes the oxygen in air and slows down the process of combustion. Since nitrogen is incombustible and a non-supporter of combustion, combustion takes place at a much slower rate in the atmosphere.
- Nitrogen is an important constituent of proteins, which are necessary for the growth of animals and human beings.
- Nitrogen is essential for the normal growth and development of plants. Plants convert nitrogen into proteins.
- Nitrogen is used in the manufacture of several nitrogenous compounds like ammonia and nitric acid.
- Nitrogenous compounds like ammonia, potassium nitrate and urea are used as fertilizers.
- Nitrogen compound like trinitrotoluene (TNT) nitro-glycerin and nitrocellulose are used as explosives.