Acidic oxides present in the atmosphere cause acid rain. SO2 present in the atmosphere gets oxidizes to sulphur trioxide. The later reacts with water vapor present in the atmosphere to produce sulphuric acid. Similarly nitrogen dioxide produces nitric acid. These acids fall on the earth with rain water.
Hazards of acid rain. It causes:
1. Damage to historical monuments;
2. Increase in rate of corrosion of metals;
3. Damage to aquatic life;
4. Increase of acid content of water;
5. Damage to leaves of the plants and trees;
6. Removal of basic nutrients present in the soil.