Three levels of management.
Levels of Management: Management has the following three levels. They are as given under:
- Top level management.
- Middle level management.
- Low or operational or bottom level or first line or supervisory level management.
Top level Management
Top level management is responsible for framing policies of the business. All important decisions are also made at this level. This level of management is concerned to the various administrative functions. Top level management consists of board of directors, managing director, general manager and senior most managers. Top level management is administrative in nature.
Following are the important functions performed by top level management:
- They determine objectives of the business enterprise.
- Top level management formulating abroad policies of the business.
- Taking important business decisions.
- Deciding future course of action taking into considering economic policies, public opening and other social, national and international factors.
- Assembling the resources needed to making plans into operation, and
- Issuing guidelines to medium level managers.
Middle level Management
Middle level management is the link between top level and low level management and executory by nature. The heads of the various departmental heads receive orders and instruct from the top level management or managers and pass it to their subordinates (lower level managers). These managers supervise, direct and control the activities of foremen, inspectors and supervisors. They receive reports of actual performance from their low level managers. They study reports and issue necessary instructions. Middle level managers bridge the gap between two. It helps in removing misunderstanding and create cordial relationship among the levels of management.
Important functions performed by the middle level management are as follows:
- Managers are held responsible for interpreting and communicating the policies of the top level management.
- They determine organizational set up of their departments.
- They issue instructions to low level managers which they are received from the top level management.
- They also perform in motivating subordinates for higher productivity and awarding them for their outstanding performance.
- Their duty is to compiling statistical reports for top level management and preparing records of their department.
- They also recommend revised and amended policies of their respective departments.
Low level Management
Low level management is line between middle level management and workers. There manages are directly setated to workers. They are also help building image of the enterprise before workers and also help in creating the sense of belongingness among them towards the enterprise. Low level management is also known as bottom level or first line supervisory level of management. It is also called as operation all level management. Managers of this level are directly related with the routine functions of the firm.
Following are important functions performed by the low level management:
- Management concerned wit operative working force of the enterprise. i.e., working force is link between middle level management and workers.
- They assigning duties to individual workers inspecting and supervising workers under command at work. They attend workers’ problem and helps in solving by removing doubts in their mind and inspiring them for maximum productivity.
- Receiving instructions from middle level management and implementing them in the day-to-day affair of the business.
- They ensuring safety of workers tools and machines and equipments etc.
- They help in creating sense of belongingness among workers which helps in building the image of the enterprise. These low level bosses have to work in real situations of the work and thus, they are known as operational managers. This level of management consists of supervisors, inspectors, foremen and superintendents.
Top level management can be said to be determinative, middle level management as executory management and low level as operational management. Without combination, and coordination among these three levels of management an enterprise cannot prosper or progress. So, every managers at each level shall responsible in performing their duties efficiently to make maximum productivity of the firm / enterprise as a whole.