Profession denotes an occupation which involves rendering of professional and expertise services of special in nature. The services rendered by doctors, teachers, engineers and the accountants are regarded as profession. The chief characteristics of profession are:
- It involves intellectual techniques as against techniques of routine nature.
- It involves specialized knowledge, training and experience.
- The professional people enjoy a special status in the society.
- The professional people have a code of professional conduct and discipline.
- They enjoy discretion about the manner of working.