The features of departmental store.
A departmental store is a large scale retail organisation having a number of departments housed under the same roof. Each department deals in a particular kind of trade or product. Bon Marche was the first departmental store established in 1852 in France. White Hall in Bombay and the Military Departmental Store are the best examples of departmental store in India.
The characteristics of a departmental store are:
- It is a large scale retail organisation with a number of departments under the same roof.
- Each department of the departmental store specializes a particular line of trade or product.
- It provides a wide variety of commodities from pin to an aero plane.
- It involves huge amount of capital and are located in big towns and cities.
- It’s management and control is centralized.