The main differences between Shares and Stocks are as follows
- Stocks are fully paid up whereas shares may be fully paid up or partly paid up.
- Shares may be issued when a company is incorporated but stock cannot be issued under such circumstances. Only fully paid shares can be converted into stock.
- Stocks is convenient method of transferring because it can be issued or transferred in fractional parts whereas shares cannot be divided below the face value of each share.
- Stocks are not numbered whereas shares are serially numbered.
- Shares are always registered and not transferable by mere delivery but stock man may be registered or unregistered or unregistered stock can be transferred by mere delivery.