Swami Vivekananda ranks among the greatest educationists of the world. Here in the following lines, we discuss the basic principles of the philosophy of education:
1. Only study of books is not education.
2. Knowledge lies hidden in the mind of man. He uncovers and develops it by his own efforts.
3. Concentration is the key of all knowledge. For this, practice of Brahamcharya is very essential.
4. Purity of thought, speech and deed is self discipline.
5. Education should develop the child physically, mentally and spiritually.
6. Education should foster spiritual faith, devotion and self surrender in the individual and should full development through service and sacrifice.
7. Education should develop character, mental powers, intelligence and inculcate self confidence together with self-reliance.
8. Religious education should be imparted through sweet impressions and fine conduct in preference to books.
9. Boys and girls should receive the same education.
10. Specially women should be imparted religious education.
11. Mass education schemes should be formulated and launched.
12. Provision for technical education should be made so that industrial growth leads to the economic prosperity of the nation.
13. Teacher is a friend, philosopher and guide. He should sympathetically bring out the latent knowledge in a child by inspiration and motivation.
15. All those subjects should be included in the curriculum which promotes the material and spiritual advancement of a child.