Four characteristics of coal deposits in India :
- Coal deposits of India are of inferior quality.
- The coal deposits in India are mainly concentrated in Chhota Nagpur area. It is a part of ancient Gondwana land considered to be rich in minerals.
- Coal deposits are found near the iron-ore fields.
- Coal is an important raw material for the Iron and Steel industries, therefore many steel plants have been set up in these areas. Damodar Valley area is rich in coal deposits.
- Coal deposits are found in layers and lie near the earth surface. It is commercially economical to obtain coal from the open pit mines.