The important functions performed by the oceans are given below :
- The oceans regulate the temperature of land (of our globe).
- The oceans act as reservoir of resources like fossil fuels, sea-foods, metals and salts.
- The oceans dissolve out excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and hence prevent the excessive heating of earth by decreasing the green-house effect.
- The oceans acted as a cradle for the origin (birth) of primitive life.
- The oceans act as a medium of transport by boats, ships, etc.
- The oceans act as a dust-bin for throwing unwanted waste materials of the land.