Causes responsible for increase in wasteland in India are
- Large scale deforestation and grazing,
- Spread of desertification, especially in areas deficit in rainfall and around Rajasthan.
- Soil and water erosion,
- Water-logging due to excessive irrigation. (Any three)
Suggestions to improve and reduce wasteland :
- Afforestation on large scale,
- Soil and water conservation through contour ploughing, growing grass in hilly areas and prohibiting grazing.
- Deep irrigation for conserving moisture,
- Streamlining management and river water control. (Any three).
Sponsored by The Wisdom Post