In the words of our ‘first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, non-aligned means “nations which object to lining up for war purposes, to military blocs, to military alliance and the like”. It is not merely a policy of non-involvement with military blocs but a policy for creating world peace. India played a pioneering role in making non-alignment a major force in the world.
Main objectives of non-alignment: The main objectives of non-alignment are :
- to liquidate colonialism and imperialism in all their forms
- to establish world peace and ensure peaceful coexistence between nations
- to condemn racial discrimination
- to oppose military alliance
- to follow policy of disarmament
- to have respect for human rights
- to establish economic relations between nations based on equality and free from exploitation.