Contribution of Arya Samaj in the Social and Cultural awakening of India in the 19th century :
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati founded the Arya Samaj in 1875. Arya Samaj repudiated the authority of Brahmans and condemned a number of religious rites and idol worship.
- Arya Samaj opposed the existing caste system as it was based on heredity.
- It advocated equal rights for men and women.
- A large number of schools and colleges were started by Arya Samaj, both for boys and girls all over the country.
- Arya Samaj laid stress on the study of Vedas.
- Thus, Arya Samaj aimed at reforming Hinduism. It attacked many vices and malpractices prevalent in the Indian society.
Sponsored by The Wisdom Post