Economic, Social and Political Conditions in India in 19th century :
Economic Conditions :
- India was a backward and traditional economy.
- Agriculture was the main occupation but it was in a pitiable condition.
- Fanners were poor but the landlords were rich and prosperous.
- Trade and Commerce had come to almost a standstill.
Social Conditions :
- illiteracy and ignorance were rampant.
- Many evils prevailed in society like caste system, child marriage, Sati-system and Purdah system.
- Muslim society was also divided into castes. Purdah system was a part of their religion.
- Condition of women was pathetic.
Political Conditions :
- Politically the country had weakened.
- The hold of Mughals was gradually weakening.
- No other Indian State was able to hold the reign of the country in absolute terms.
- European powers were tightening their grips wherever possible.