Contribution of Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902) :
In the field of Social Movement :
- He strongly condemned caste system, all superstitions, and rituals prevalent in the society.
- Through Ramakrishna Mission, he set up many educational institutions, hospitals, libraries, orphanages and homes for widows.
- He opposed untouchability.
- He laid great emphasis on social, welfare and education for women. He preached humanism, freedom, equality and brotherhood.
In the field of Religious Movement :
- Swami Vivekanand founded the Ramakrishna Mission to propagate the teaching of his Guru Shri Rama Krishna Paramhansa.
- He carried the work of his Guru to popularise Vedantic philosophy, mysticism and the path of devotion to God.
- He believed in reviving all the best traditions of Hinduism and not merely Vedas.