Role of Moderates in the early phase of the Indian National Movement :
- The moderates, demanded not independence but representative institutions within the British Government.
- The Congress Committee followed a moderate programme during the first few years. In the beginning, it aimed at uniting die people of India for common political ends.
- Some of the early demands of Moderates were :
- elected representatives in the Provincial and Central Legislative Councils.
- holding of die Indian Civil Service examination in India and raising the minimum age of entry.
- reduction of military expenditure.
- the spread of education.
- agricultural and industrial development etc.
- The moderates did not want separation but association with Britain.
- Gradually the radical ideas were brought in the Congress making the British Government hostile towards it.