This article describes 12 differences between Law and Morality.
- Law demands an absolute subjection to its rules and commands.
- Law has enforcing authority derived from state.
- It is heteronymous (being imposed upon men upon the outer life of men).
- Law regulates men’s relations with others and with society.
- A promissory note is in force for three years. It is the debtor’s duty to repay the loan. It is the legal duty. The creditor can enforce a legal action against the debtor within three years from the date of execution of promissory note before the court of law.
- The legal duty involves a corresponding right.
- The state provides the organized machinery for the enforcement of law.
- Legal disputes admit in principle of alteration by legislation.
- Legal disputes can only be settled by an appropriate court of law.
- Law is narrower than morality. It extends to a great number of such acts.
- The law applies to all the citizens whether they want or not.
- Law cannot be changed into morals.
- Morality demands that men should act from a sense of ethical duty.
- Morality has no such enforcing authority from state.
- It is autonomous (coming from the inner life of men).
- It governs the inner life of men.
- If the promissory note is time-barred, then the legal duty of the debtor turns into moral duty. Of course, moral duty is not enforceable before the court of law.
- It is also accompanied by a corresponding right. But right is not enforceable before the court of law.
- There is no such organization for the enforcement for morals.
- Moral rules do not admit even in principle admit of change by legislation.
- Moral disputes can be solved by the mediation of caste elders, village elders, etc.
- Morality applies to every human act.
- The morality also applies to all persons. But it depends from person to person, from religion to religion, society to society. It is his pleasure to follow or not.
- But morals sometimes can be converted into law. Example: donation to charity institution is a moral principle. The income-tax recognized and exempts certain percentage of income-tax towards donation from the total income.