Prime Minister is the strongest of all ministers and enjoys position of pre-eminence because:
- He is the leader of the party which has support of the majority of members in Lok Sabha.
- He is the constant factor in Parliamentary executive.
- The Council of Ministers is appointed at his instance.
- The Prime Minister is the key factor on the government’s policies.
- The Prime Minister coordinates the work of different ministries.
- The ministers can also be dropped at his instance.
- He assigns portfolios to the different members and recommends them to the President for appointment. He may re-allocate portfolios any time.