If clams are not available, use mussels. Discard any mussels that are not tightly closed when purchased, and any that do not open during cooking.
- 1 kg (2 lb) clams or mussels
- 3 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 ml (8 fl oz/1 cup) water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- lime or lemon juice to taste
Swish the clams in water to lose any sand they may have retained. If using mussels, scrub and beard them. Heat the ghee in a large, deep pan and fry the onions, garlic and ginger on medium heat until the onions are soft and golden. Add the chillies, turmeric, coriander and stir for a few minutes. Add salt and water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the clams or mussels, cover and steam for 10 minutes or until the shells have opened. Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the coriander. Add extra salt if required, and a good squeeze of lime or lemon juice. Spoon the spicy sauce over and serve at once with steamed rice.