A useful recipe for any vegetable in season. Pumpkin, beans, broccoli, cabbage, zucchini and snow peas may be used singly or in combination, adding them according to the time required for them to become tender.
- 500 g (1 lb) vegetables
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 fresh red or green chilli, seeded
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- 1 stem lemongrass, whole, bruised
- 500 ml (16 fl oz/2 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 250 ml (8 fl oz/1 cup) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
Cut the large vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft and golden. Add the garlic, chilli and shrimp paste and fry on low heat, crushing the shrimp paste with the spoon. Add the lemongrass, stock and coconut milk. Simmer uncovered for a few minutes, then add vegetables and cook until tender. Add salt to taste. Stir in the lime juice and serve hot with rice and other dishes.