Creamy and mild with plenty of aroma and flavour from the galangal, lime leaves, lemongrass and green chillies.
- 1 small roasting chicken
- 1 · 560 ml (19 fl oz) can coconut milk
- 6 slices fresh galangal
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander roots
- 2 stems lemongrass, white portion only, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh green chillies, whole
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- juice of 1Ð2 limes
- chopped fresh coriander leaves
Cut the chicken into joints: divide the drumstick from the thigh, the wings from the breast, and cut the breast pieces in half. Chop the back into three pieces. Put the chicken into a saucepan. Dilute 300 ml (10 fl oz) of the canned coconut milk with 500 ml (16 fl oz/2 cups) water and pour over the chicken. Add galangal, pepper, coriander roots, lemongrass, chillies, salt and lime leaves. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining undiluted coconut milk and stir constantly until it reaches simmering point again. Remove from heat, stir in the fish sauce and lime juice and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with steamed rice.